10 February 2011

Don't smoke in the hotel rooms

So on Saturday Elizabeth and I had to check out of our hotel.  Only we had to check out by noon but couldn't check into our accommodation until 2.  Therefore our solution was to people watch from the lobby until her friend picked her up to go shopping and I had a taxi called.  One of the most interesting things we witnessed was a group of guys who were checking out.  Apparently they had been smoking in their room.  There was a no smoking policy in our hotel.  Needless to say when housekeeping had gone through their room, they noticed the smell.  As they were checking out the woman at the front desk kept asking them which one of them was smoking.  All of them denied that they had smoked in the room.  It started getting busier so the woman called someone else down to deal with him.  This guy basically yelled at them saying that they had to pay the 100 pound fee from smoking in the room because it is illegal in England to smoke in the rooms.  Eventually one of them coughed up the money (by the way 100 pounds is approximately 150 US dollars).  Elizabeth and I sat there the entire time trying not to laugh.  Later while I was sitting waiting for my taxi another group of girls came in and turned to one another wondering if they were allowed to smoke in their rooms.  I think one had even lit up in the lobby before they all headed outside.  When my taxi finally arrived he wasn't entirely sure where he needed to go, he asked me and I of course had no idea either!  We eventually made it where I checked in and moved in.  Did I mention it was raining during this time so I had to walk from the taxi to the Edge (where I was checking in) and to my flat.  Granted it wasn't far but I still got pretty wet.  Although, I was luckier than some people who had to walk further to their flats, and my taxi driver got my suitcases out of the taxi for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment