06 February 2011

Finally Settled (well sort of)

So today was the day that I was finally able to move into my apartment.  It's interesting because they are called apartments but are more of a cross between apartments and dorm rooms.  On the plus side, I have my own room which includes my own bathroom.  Our floor also has a kitchen and common area all smushed into one.  It has 2 couches, 2 refrigerators, an oven, a toaster, and a microwave.  Other than that it doesn't have anything except for a place to eat.  I also finally have internet!!  Except I have to use an ethernet to connect to it and the one they provide is max 3 feet long so I can only sit at my desk to get it.  But my desk is rather spacious and has shelving above it.  I also have a wardrobe that is a fair size only it doesn't have drawers, just shelving and hanging space.  I haven't quite gotten used to the switches here.  In order for me to turn on the light I have to click a switch, but it goes down.  This gets really confusing when I walk out of my room because my bathroom and room light switches are right next to each other and I can never remember which one is which.  I also have to flip such switch in order for my outlets to turn on as well.  I am enjoying my apartment so far.  I am living on a flat with 5 other girls; one from Hong Kong, 3 from Australia (Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne), and one from Canada.  Four of us ventured out into the city centre earlier today to get some essentials.  I needed bedding and towels mostly.  I got everything I needed for just 40 quid, which is good considering I got a lot of stuff.  Here they won't just sell you a comforter, you have to buy a duvet and then the duvet cover to go on top of it.  The genius people for designed the bags for the store however decided that it would be a great idea to use paper bags.  This seems a bit odd considering how much it rains here.  I'm fairly certain it's stopped raining for about 1 hour since Thursday evening.  Needless to say as I was getting off the bus my bag decided to rip from being so soggy.  Luckily I was still on the bus not the street.  After returning to our apartment we walked out to the grocery store so get some essentials and dinner.  They used plastic bags there but they weren't fun to carry back since they were heavy and it was a bit of a walk.  We then just spent the rest of the evening hanging out in our kitchen area.  There was a lot of noise which we thought was coming from upstairs and when we went to investigate it was actually coming from outside where a group was getting ready to head to the bars.  We watched them through the window for awhile until they realized and started pointing up at us!  Some quick notes about our Australian counterparts.  Even they don't really like Vegemite, although one of them brought it with her.  They are freaked out by s'mores, Corey, the girl from Canada, and I had to explain that they really were good and graham crackers aren't really crackers more like cookies.  We also explained to them how to play flip cup.  A couple of years ago they got a Costco where they could buy Solo cups and they became really popular for a while since Americans used them.  Now one of the bars in, I think, Melbourne uses them to serve their drinks.  That's all I can really remember now.  I have to head out tomorrow get more stuff, like kitchen stuff (we took plastic silverware from the coffee station at the grocery store to use for tonight :)  I'll post more tomorrow hopefully about orientation and the past couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment