08 February 2011

Orientation Part 2

So Friday morning Elizabeth and I were feeling a bit more comfortable on our walk to the student union.  We stopped at the local Gregg's (which is basically a sandwich place) and got muffins for our walk.  Only it was so cold outside we weren't able to eat them until we got to the Union.  But don't worry, we had plenty of time to eat them.  Apparently, on Thursday afternoon (the part of orientation I missed) we were told the earlier we got there the faster registration would go since we'd be in the first group.  Well Elizabeth and I were a bit over eager and were the first ones there.  The staff was still setting up and told us to come back in about half an hour.  When we got back there was a bit more people but we were still in the first group.  Not that it helped me.  In order to get registered at Sheffield we had to get our courses approved by someone in the department (the tutor) and s/he had to sign off that they approved us for that particular course.  There were about 4 departments that weren't going to be there and 2 others that weren't going to be there until much later.  Of course only 1 of mine was there when I got there.  The good news is the tutor who was signing our forms said that the class was relatively easy.  After that though I had to wait over an hour for the philosophy department to get there, and when he did he didn't have everything he needed so he left and had to come back.  Then I should've gone to the psychology department to them to sign off.  In order to do that I had to go to the psych building and find the tutor.  After spending awhile looking at the psych time table I cam to the conclusion that I thought the class I wanted to take was going to overlap with another.  So I decided to cut the trip out of my schedule and take another philosophy course.  I still couldn't register for my cell and molec class until 1:(  But I found some other girls, one who I had already met (Hannah from Austria) and Krizia from UNC Chapel Hill.  So the three of us got an authentic British lunch of fish and chips with mushy peas.  For those who don't know chips are actually fries (so far I've only had steak fries) and crisps are what they call chips.  After lunch we headed to the molecular bio department to get our form signed.  We were on a time crunch b/c we thought we needed to register by 2!  Only no one knew where the tutor was who needed to sign it.  We got the same answer from everyone we talked to, 'oh I saw him a couple of minutes ago but I don't know where he went.'  That was real helpful, but we found another group of students who were meeting with a different prof who said he would sign our forms, he was in charge of the regular 1st year students.   Once he signed we rushed to where we thought we needed to go only to find out they weren't there anymore.  Luckily someone pointed us in the direction of the regular registry office and we quickly got registered.  I also finally got my student ID and my password for the internet on campus!!!  We made it back in time for the afternoon orientation session.  It wasn't much more exciting then it had been on Thursday.  They made us do 'speed chatting' to try to meet new people, but I had already met everyone around me!  After that Elizabeth and I headed back to our hotel.  We made a quick stop so I could get a mobile.  I could finally communicate with people here.  It had been so frustrating telling people that no I hadn't gotten my phone yet since that seemed to have been the first thing they all did.  Friday night was a bit calmer than Thursday.  And by a bit, I mean it was the total opposite.  Neither of us really wanted to go out, it was cold and windy and rainy.  We didn't even leave the hotel for dinner.  By 9 or 10 we were both falling asleep reading our books and just turned off the light and went to bed.

I know I posted about my room the other day but here are the photos!


A view of my room from the door
My bathroom that likes to flood whenever I take a shower.  It's such a pain that there is nothing separating the shower area from the rest of the loo:)

My picture collage that I put up on the cork board behind my desk:)  I brought so many pictures!

1 comment: